Moving On and Up
Chaucer Junior School
SEND INFORMATION REPORT
12. How will you support my child when they are leaving Chaucer; transferring to Chaucer or moving onto another class?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for any child and particularly children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities therefore we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. Children joining our Junior setting are given ample opportunities to become familiar with the school, as part of this:
- All families have the opportunity of a visit to the school either through an open evening or through arrangement with the school prior to their child starting Chaucer Juniors.
- If the child struggles with change, we can also provide additional transition meetings, extra transition and also photobooks for the family to share with the child during the summer holidays.
If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the school SENDco and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEP’s will be shared with the new teacher.
- If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
- The Teacher will be provided with a personal profile of your child’s needs and difficulties, this will be shared with all adults and any supply teachers.
In Year 6:
- The children’s class teachers will make sure that all relevant information is discussed with the secondary school, if the child has a high level of need a formal meeting can be held to support transition.