Skip to content ↓


Chaucer Junior School


The changes in the Children and Families Bill affect the way children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) are to be supported in schools. A revised Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Framework has been written and the new approach began in September 2014 and places pupils at the centre of planning. The key principles of the new legislation are:

  • Young people and their families should be involved in discussions about the support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the young person’s progress.
  • Education, health and care plans (EHC) will replace statements of special educational needs. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHC guidelines from September 2014. (Existing statements will remain in force until all children and young people have completed the transition, which will be within three years).
  • School Action and School Action Plus will cease and be replaced by a single school-based category for children who need extra specialist support.

You have not allowed cookies and this content may contain cookies.

If you would like to view this content please

Chaucer Junior School is well placed to adopt these changes and looks forward to working with pupils and parents/carers  to ensure full inclusive access to our education.

At Chaucer Junior school we aim to support all children to enable them to achieve their potential. To enable us to do this we offer support of many forms to assist them through their learning journey.

Quality teaching is crucial; however for some children intervention and support may be needed to help them to achieve their targets.

To find out more please click on the questions below.

Who are the best people in this school to talk to if i am concerned about my child's special educational needs and or disability?

The Headteacher, Mrs A Upton is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspect of the school, this includes the support for children on the SEND register.
  • Ensuring all children on the SEND register receive a consistent, high quality approach to meeting their educational, physical, welfare and social emotional mental health needs.
  • Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up-to-date on issues and policies in the school relating to SEND.
  • Mrs Upton has delegated the responsibility for the management of the SEND support in school to Mrs S Starling (SENDco) and the class teacher ensuring your child needs are met.

The teacher is responsible for:

  • Working in conjunction with the SENDco and Head teacher, the teacher will check on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional support you child needs; this could be targeted work, additional support or an intervention programme.
  • Write and review your child’s Individual Education Plans (IEP), this will be done in collaboration with the child, parent, teaching assistant, SENDco, Head Teacher and anyone who gives support to your child.
  • Ensuring the IEP is a working document, reviewed frequently and updated regularly.
  • Ensuring that all staff, outside agencies and other supply staff are made aware of your child’s needs and provision.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in the classroom and for all the pupils on he SEND register.
  • Ensuring that parents/carers are kept informed of all the provision and support that is offered to your child; making sure you are aware of any changes.

The Special Educational Need and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDco) Mrs S Starling is responsible for:

  • Co-ordinating all the support for pupils with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND policy in conjunction with the revised SEND framework.
  • Ensuring all children on the SEND register receive a consistent, high quality approach to meeting their educational, physical, welfare and social emotional mental health needs.
  • Ensuring that you as a parent/carer are :

              - Involved in the supporting of your child’s learning.

              - Kept informed about the intervention and support your child is receiving.

              - Involved in reviewing your child’s intervention and progress.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be come into school to support your child’s learning , disabilities or emotional well being such as : Speech and Language Therapist,  Occupational Therapist , Behaviour Support or School Nurse.
  • Updating the School’s SEND register (a clear way of ensuring all the SEND needs of children are known to the Local Authority) and making sure that records are kept of you child’s needs and progress.
  • Providing support  and training for teachers and teaching assistants so they are able to effectively support children on the SEND register to enable that to make the most progress and wellbeing possible.

How is Chaucer accessible to children with send?

The SEND and Disability Act 2001 extended the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) to cover education. Since September 2002, The Governing Body has had three key duties towards pupils on the Special Educational Needs register or pupils with a disability, under Part 4 of the DDA:

  • Not to treat disabled or SEN pupils less favorably for a reason related to their disability or difficulties;
  • To make reasonable adjustments for these pupils, so that they are not at a substantial disadvantage;
  • To plan to increase access to education for disabled or SEN pupils.

This plan sets out the proposals of the Governing Body of the school to increase access to education for disabled pupils in the three areas required by the planning duties in the DDA:

  • Increasing the extent to which SEN or disabled pupils can participate in the school curriculum;
  • Improve the environment of the school to increase the extent to which disabled pupils can take advantage of education and associated services;
  • Improve the delivery to disabled pupils of information which is provided in writing for pupils who are not disabled.

It is a requirement that the school’s accessibility plan is resourced, implemented and reviewed and revised as necessary. For a copy of the accessibility plan together with its action plan please see the link on the school’s website.

‘The Disability Equality Policy and Scheme has ‘Safeguarding

Children and Child Protection’, ‘Every Child Matters’,

‘Excellence and Enjoyment’, the school’s ‘Healthy School’,

Mission Statement and Aims at its heart.’

For a copy of this please see the schools link on the website or ask for a copy at the school office.

What are the different types of support available for children on the SEND register at Chaucer Junior School?

Quality first teaching - Class teacher input via targeted classroom teaching that may involve being supported by a qualified adult or a differentiated curriculum. Children supported at this level will not always be on the SEND register.

For your child this would mean :

  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning , visual supports or technology to enable your child to be fully included.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDco or specialist agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific programmes delivered within a smaller group of children.

Children supported at this level may or may not be on the SEND register; this will ultimately depend on the support required by the individual and length of time it is needed.

This group, called Intervention groups, may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside in other rooms.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching assistant/Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) who has had training to lead these groups.
  • May run at any point throughout the day.

They will be :

  • Planned, overseen by your child's teacher or SENDco.
  • Sessions with specific targets to help your child  make more progress in a specific area.

This provision is offered when it is felt that a child is not making expected progress and therefore; is falling behind their peers, or they need an additional boost to enable them to exceed expectations.

It may also be used to help fill gaps in learning caused by poor attendance, absence due to ill health or when other social or emotional barriers to learning have been identified. These will often be as part of our Positive Play or Nurture.

Individualised programmes, targeted at a smaller number of pupils in a small group or on a 1-1 basis; these pupils may also have a Statement of Education or an Education Health Care Plan. For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDco/parent or carer as  needing more specialist/targeted input, instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • Your child’s name will have been added to the Schools SEND Register.
  • You will be invited to attend meetings to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. These will be IEP or intervention support meeting.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school and at home.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs, support the school in addressing your child’s needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class, e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise.
  • Multi-element plans to enable us to understand and support specific behaviours.
  • A group or individual work planned by and or run by the outside professionals.

They also provide the school with support when apply for Educational Health Care plan, temporary additional funding or dual/alternative placements. They will contribute to the implementing of risk assessments, multi-element plans and family support.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s development or progress in school? 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should: Initially speak to your child’s teacher.

This can be done in an informal way at the end of the school day, however; it is important that you are given ample time to explain and discuss you concerns fully; deciding with the teacher what actions need to be taken in order for your child to be happy and to give them the opportunities to meet their full potential.

It is for these reasons that it may be appropriate for you to arrange a meeting with the class teacher either directly, or through the school office.

The teacher’s will do everything possible to ensure they are available to meet at a time convenient to you.

If you are not satisfied that the concerns are being dealt with correctly, or quickly enough; your child remains unhappy, or is still not making progress : you should speak to the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinator (SENDco).

Mrs Starling is available at the beginning or end of most days, however; it may be more useful for you to arrange a meeting with her when you will have ample time to discuss the issues.

At Chaucer Junior School parents, pupil and communication are at the centre of any discussion, therefore it may be necessary to invite the child’s teacher or Head Teacher to these meetings. So that everyone is aware of the issues and the actions from them.

If the issues are serious or urgent : you should contact school immediately and ask to speak to the Head Teacher.

Mrs Upton will be happy to speak to you or if she is not available the concerns will be dealt with by the Senior Leadership Team: Miss J Mee, Mrs M Wolverson, Miss T Smith or Mrs C Smith.

You may contact the School Chair of Governors or the SEND Governor with any issues regarding the school. Their details can be found on the contacts page.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s development or progress in school? 

The class teacher and teaching assistant observe and assess your child throughout each lesson, this information along with the information gathered during planned assessments (tests) throughout the year; help the school make judgments about your child’s strengths and areas for development.

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may receive or need; this may involve adult support or an intervention programme; it could involve working with the family or referral to outside agencies.
  • Discuss a reasonable timescale for support to be implemented and evaluated.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning when school based intervention has not had the desired impact.
  • Discuss what part you will need to take to support your child and the school with any intervention.

You will be given the opportunity to evaluate and discuss your child’s progress at parents evenings or review meetings of you child’s needs.

Mrs Starling will hold internal review meetings with the Teachers, Teaching assistants and Head Teachers to discuss the intervention and progress of all children on the SEND register 3 times per year. The outcomes and action of these meetings will be discussed with parent/carers at parent evenings.

If Mrs Starling feels it is necessary to speak to you before then, she will contact you.


What are the main interventions/strategies that are used to support SEND at Chaucer and how is this support allocated to children? 

The main types of intervention used within Chaucer Junior School are:

First stage of intervention - Quality First Teaching:

(Planned, put in place, reviewed by the Class Teacher.)

The intervention can be as follows:

  • Differentiation

- Differentiation by task, which involves setting different tasks for pupils of different abilities.
- Differentiation by support, which means giving more help to certain pupils within the group.
- Differentiation by outcome, which involves setting  open-ended tasks and allowing pupils to responded at different levels.

  • Pitch

- Is the activity suitable for your child's ability?

  • Pace

- Is the lesson to slow or to quick for my child?
- Are they bored, or are they confused by the lesson?

  • Challenge

- Is the challenge enough for my child to enable them to make good progress?

  • Support

- Your child may be supported by a teaching assistant in class, this will be when needed and not all the time.

  • Assessment for learning in the lesson
  • Adapting resources
  • TA support for groups or individuals

Second stage of intervention - This can be intervention programmes that can boost    progress, and with this short term support most children can get back on track (catch-up). At this stage some children are placed on the SEND register but this is not always necessary.

(Planned, put in place, reviewed by the Class Teacher, SENDCO.)

The intervention can be as follows:

  • Working in a small group with specific targets to boost progress

         - These are supported by a teacher or teaching assistant.

  • Visual supports for understanding

         - Visual supports have proven to be a huge success with children when helping t0 mainstream and include them in the classroom; this enables them to participate successfully in the learning.

  • Support from a teaching assistant in the classroom or during group work
  • Adaptations of  environment and resources for children with physical, visual or hearing impairments
  • Reward system for children with  Social and emotional difficulties
  • Support for children from ethnic minorities

        - This could be language, family support or support with settling in.

  • Nurture

        - Our Secret Garden group (nurture) comprises of 2 adult  and 8 children, both adults are qualified members of staff. The Secret Garden offers a safe base for children to develop their social and emotional well being. The children are withdrawn from class for 4 afternoons per week with the staff working towards the child’s full integration back into class. See the school’s website for more information

  • Positive Play

        - Positive play takes place in our ‘Ocean Room’. This support programme has been successfully running at Chaucer since 2007. The child works with a specialist play worker on a one to one basis. This give children opportunities to express and communicate feelings through a variety of play activities. See the school’s website for more information.

Third stage of intervention - All pupils at this stage will be on the SEND register.

The children’s and Families Act 2014 section 20 (C & F Act 2014’s.20) defines when a child or young person has Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND). This is when they have either a learning difficulty or disability and they need special educational provision to be made for them’

This is targeted, individualised intervention for pupils who are working well below age-related expectations. They will often have social, emotional and behaviour management difficulties, or a disability that requires additional intervention or resources.

Some children at this stage will have an Educational Health Care Plan. These will replace Statements. (Please see link to EHCP for more information).

(Planned, put in place, reviewed by the Class Teacher, SENDCO or Head Teacher.)

The intervention can be as follows:

  • Each child has an individual education plan (IEP)

The plan sets out clearly what needs have been identified, what works for the child and how this has supported or made things better for the child. It is a working document; provision is often changed or adapted and the IEP needs to reflect this.

  • Support from a teaching assistant

To run intervention programmes or support the child; encouraging independence working and thinking skills, supporting children with physical or medical disabilities.

  • Intervention programmes specific to the child’s needs

Examples of these are : Read write Inc, Beat Dyslexia, Better reading and writing, Rapid Numeracy, Speech and Language programmes, Physical Literacy, Social Stories.

  • Support from Specialist, outside Agencies

See the next question for more info on Specialist Services.

What or who are the specialist services that are used to support my child and the school? 

  • Support Service for Special Educational Needs (SSSEN)

The support Service works directly with pupils with Statements of Education or Education Health Care plans. The specified work takes place in school. The supported is reviewed with child, parent/carer, SENCO and teacher on a termly basis.

  • Multi-Agency Team (MAT)

MAT based in the community and bring together staff from health and social care, education support and children's centres. They work closely with schools, GPs and community groups. The team supports children, young people and families who have additional needs to help them become healthier and meet their full potential.

  • Behaviour Support Service (BSS)

BSS aim to support schools to improve pupil behaviour and reduce exclusions, to support the re-integration of excluded pupils and to provide or secure the best possible education for pupils following permanent exclusion.

  • Speech and language Therapy Service

SLTS provide services in children's centres, education settings, client's homes, care homes, health centres and hospitals. They work together to deliver high quality services for adults and children who have:

- Speech, language and communication needs.

- Eating and swallowing disorders (dysphagia).

  • Occupational /Physiotherapist
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Education Welfare Office (EWO)

How are teachers and support staff helped to work with children with a SEND and what training do they have? 

The SENDCO and Head Teacher attend relevant training, in order to keep their knowledge of SEND and the strategies/interventions up to date along with current developments within SEND.

Their role is to then to deliver or organise training relevant to the needs of the school population, to all members of staff.

All support staff are offered development opportunities from either training run by the school or through courses usually run by the local authority.

During this academic year there has been training on:

  • Numicon
  • ADHD
  • Nurture
  • Positive Play
  • Autism
  • Sensory issue
  • The new framework for Special Educational Need and Disabilities.
  • Numeracy
  • Literacy

How will my child’s teacher adapt the teaching for my child? 

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

These may include:

  • Individual workstations – equipped with everything your child needs to access the lesson.
  • Pencil grips – are used on a pencil to support with control and improve handwriting.
  • Visual prompts – these can be used for a number of different things, they usually include a symbol/picture and word to remind children;.
  • Class/individual visual timetable .
  • Feeling cards to enable your child to express how they feel; these might be on a discreet key ring.
  • Time out areas

What support do we have for you as a parent/carer of a child with SEND? 

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENDco (Mrs Starling) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not  possible, in a report.
  • IEP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each half term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • Our Head Teacher (Mrs Anna Upton) is always available to offer support/advice to parents.
  • If it is felt necessary by the school or yourself we can arrange support from a multi-agency team, who can visit you at home or in school to discuss any problems.
  • We can also refer you or put you into contact with outside agency such as: Parent Partnership, Austism Outreach, Social Services, School Nurse or Barnardos.

Where can I find the school’s SEND policy? 

You can find the policy at the bottom of this page or by requesting a copy from the School Office.

How will you support my child when they are leaving Chaucer; transferring to Chaucer or moving onto another class? 

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for any child and particularly children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities therefore we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. Children joining our Junior setting are given ample opportunities to become familiar with the school, as part of this:

  • All families have the opportunity of a visit to the school either through an open evening or through arrangement with the school prior to their child starting Chaucer Juniors.
  • If the child struggles with change, we can also provide additional transition meetings, extra transition and also photobooks for the family to share with the child during the summer holidays.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDco and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

 When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEP’s will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • The Teacher will be provided with a personal profile of your child’s needs and difficulties, this will be shared with all adults and any supply teachers.

 In Year 6:

  • The children’s class teachers will make sure that all relevant information is discussed with the secondary school, if the child has a high level of need a formal meeting can be held to support transition.

What can I do to help my child? 

There are lots of things you can do at home if your child needs extra help with their school work.

Your involvement can make a big difference. Taking an interest in your child's work - praise any achievements, but don't push them too hard.

Other things you can do include:

  • Read a book or watch TV together. Talk about what you've read or watched.
  • Help with homework. Help them to plan when to do their homework as well as with the actual work. This will help to avoid last-minute panic.
  • Play games together. Scrabble, snakes and ladders and card games all help with letter and number skills.
  • Encourage your child to follow special interests - becoming an 'expert' in something will give your child a sense of self-esteem and achievement. It might be football, another sport, animal-related or computing. The subject doesn't matter as much as being knowledgeable about something, and feeling recognised for that.
  • Create a checklist to help your child get organised, this enables them to remember what to bring each day to school; gives them the responsibility.
  • If you know particular ways of learning which work for your child, tell their teacher. If you are unsure of the ways we teach children to learn come in and ask us to show you how.

Make sure you talk to the school if you are worried about anything; as a school we always listen and respond to parents or carers.

Remember that you know your child best!

What is the Local Offer and where can I find it? 

Derbyshire's Local Offer is where you can find out about a range of services and support for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).

The Local Offer includes leisure and activity providers, health and care services, education providers and support groups.

It simply aims to pull information about available services into one place and make it clear and accessible for you and your family.

To access the Derbyshire Local Offer click here or ask at the school office for other ways of accessing it.

Acronyms - what are they? 

ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorder

ADHD: - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

CAMHS: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

CCG: Clinical Commissioning Groups

EHC: Education, Health & Care

EP: Educational Psychologist

ESCO: Early Support Care Co-ordination

EWO: Education Welfare Officer

HI: Hearing Impairment

LA: Local Authority

MLD: Moderate Learning Difficulty

MSI: Multi-sensory impairment

MSI: Multi-Sensory Impairment

OT: Occupational Therapy/Therapist

PD: Physical Disability

PMLD: Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties

PR: Parental Responsibility

PT: Physiotherapy/Physiotherapist

SALT/SLT: Speech & Language Therapy/Therapist

SEN: Special Educational Needs

SENDCo: Special Educational Needs & Disability Co-ordinator

SEND: Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

SEMHD: Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties

SLCN: Speech, Language & Communication Needs

SLD: Severe Learning Difficulties

SpLD: Specific Learning Difficulties

SSSEN: Support services for Special Educational Needs

STAPS: Specialist Teacher and Psychology Service

TA: Teaching Assistant

VI: Visual Impairmentt Mental Health Services


Information for Parents & Carers

Special Educational Needs (SEND)

If you have any concerns about your child talk to:

  • Your child’s teacher
  • Mrs S Starling – The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator at school
  • Mrs A Upton –  Head teacher
  • Parent Partnership Service   Telephone  01332 716930

What does SEND mean?

SEND stands for ‘Special Educational Needs & Disabilities’. It means that your child has some difficulty making progress and action needs to be taken.

Your child may have difficulties in one or more of these areas:

  • Learning (e.g. problems with reading or maths)
  • Communication (e.g. speech and language difficulties, autism)
  • Behaviour (e.g. emotional difficulties, aggressive or withdrawn behaviour)
  • Sensory or Physical (e.g. a hearing or visual impairment, cerebral palsy)

For more information on how we can help your child, please open the 'SEN Parental Info' attachment below.