Can't find what you're looking for?
Translate / Traduire / Übersetzen / Tłumaczyć / Išversti / Tulkot / Traducir
School Logo

Chaucer Junior School

"Dream, Believe, Achieve"

Get in touch

Contact Details

click ceop opens in new window

What are the different types of support available for children on the SEND register at Chaucer Junior School?

Quality first teaching - Class teacher input via targeted classroom teaching that may involve being supported by a qualified adult or a differentiated curriculum. Children supported at this level will not always be on the SEND register.


For your child this would mean :


  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning , visual supports or technology to enable your child to be fully included.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDco or specialist agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific programmes delivered within a smaller group of children.


Children supported at this level may or may not be on the SEND register; this will ultimately depend on the support required by the individual and length of time it is needed.


This group, called Intervention groups, may be:


  • Run in the classroom or outside in other rooms.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching assistant/Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) who has had training to lead these groups.
  • May run at any point throughout the day.


They will be :


  • Planned, overseen by your child's teacher or SENDco.
  • Sessions with specific targets to help your child  make more progress in a specific area.


This provision is offered when it is felt that a child is not making expected progress and therefore; is falling behind their peers, or they need an additional boost to enable them to exceed expectations.

It may also be used to help fill gaps in learning caused by poor attendance, absence due to ill health or when other social or emotional barriers to learning have been identified. These will often be as part of our Positive Play or THRIVE.


Individualised programmes, targeted at a smaller number of pupils in a small group or on a 1-1 basis; these pupils may also have a Statement of Education or an Education Health Care Plan. For your child this would mean:


  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDco/parent or carer as  needing more specialist/targeted input, instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • Your child’s name will have been added to the Schools SEND Register.
  • You will be invited to attend meetings to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. These will be IEP or intervention support meeting.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school and at home.


The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs, support the school in addressing your child’s needs and make recommendations, which may include:


  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class, e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise.
  • Multi-element plans to enable us to understand and support specific behaviours.
  • A group or individual work planned by and or run by the outside professionals.


They also provide the school with support when apply for Educational Health Care plan, temporary additional funding or dual/alternative placements. They will contribute to the implementing of risk assessments, multi-element plans and family support.